Top Parcel Theft Deterrent Solutions
With e-commerce skyrocketing among consumers, packages are being dropped on our doorstep more than ever before. And unfortunately, that means an unprecedented number of opportunities for porch pirates—thieves who swoop in and steal packages right from under your doorknob.
According to Citizens Advice, over 5million people in the UK had parcels lost or stolen in 2020. And that figure had been rising even before COVID had us all locked down at home. Thefts of parcels and packages in the UK increased by 22% between 2016-2019, according to Police records.
With this ever-growing problem, it’s clear that package theft prevention should be of utmost importance for property managers.
If you’re the property manager of a residential apartment or BTR complex and you don’t have a proper package delivery system in place, one solution is to instruct residents to have their packages delivered only at times when they’re home. But we all know that’s not feasible; package delivery times are as unpredictable as your tenants are busy. Thankfully, there are several other measures you can take to keep porch pirates away from your property. Read on for package theft deterrent tips that all your tenants should know.
Beef up Your Communal Front Door Security
When porch pirates decide to bail on a burglary, it’s rarely because they had a change of heart. Oftentimes, it’s because there was deterrence and they noticed that the building they were targeting had a home security system in place.
Thus, you should consider fortifying the front porch security for each of your apartment units by installing:
- A visible security camera with a wide-angle, infrared lens
- An equally dynamic doorbell camera
- Floodlights with built-in motion detection
Even if a porch pirate decides to challenge your security system and go through with the package plundering, you’ll have the whole thing captured on video. And when police have video evidence at their disposal, it improves their chances exponentially of tracking down the burglar. Not only does this property management tool deter burglars from stealing packages, but it provides extra security measures for your tenants’ safety.
Send Packages Elsewhere
A great way to prevent a burglar from stealing a package from the lobby area or front of one of your apartment units is to ensure that the package isn’t delivered there. Nowadays, your residents can make arrangements to have their packages delivered to more secure locations such as:
- The concierge/property manager's office
- The home of a neighbour or close friend
- Their office
- Their local store
- The most secure option of all: an electronic, self-service locker from Parcel Pending by Quadient, which you can have installed in your building’s lobby or any convenient spot on the premises
Wait, What Was That Last Option?
Parcel Pending by Quadient’s parcel locker solution maximises both security and convenience to give your residents an unrivalled package pickup experience. This easy package theft solution will significantly benefit the customer service aspect of property management. Not to mention, it helps relieve the stress of you personally having to manage package deliveries, which saves you time and reduces operating costs.
Here’s how it works:
- Initial Delivery – As soon as a package is delivered and placed in one of the locker’s secure units, a one-time code is either emailed or texted to the resident. For even further convenience, residents can download the Parcel Pending mobile app on their smartphones to avoid having to sift through countless texts and emails to find tracking updates.
- Total Lockdown – Parcel Pending by Quadient solutions are designed to be as tough as they are smart. Every locker is built with 18 gauge rolled steel construction and an industrial-grade indoor/outdoor screen, making them virtually theft-proof. For added security, Parcel Pending by Quadient lockers can include image capture for when a parcel is collected.
Simply put, when a package is dropped off in a locker unit, it’s not leaving with anyone but the rightful owner.
- Simple Pickup – Once the intended recipient is ready to retrieve their package, pickup entails scanning their one-time code or pressing a locker activation number on the app to open the unit holding their package.
By offering your tenants a proper solution to this theft issue, you will be making them much happier tenants. As a result of happier tenants, you’ll be sure to see higher resident retention rates.
With e-commerce now accounting for nearly 15% of all retail sales, old school tactics like “I’ll have my neighbour swing by and pick it up” simply don’t cut it anymore. As a property manager in charge of a residential apartment building – and by extension, many front doorsteps – the only effective way to prevent thieves from stealing your residents’ packages is to:
- Inform your residents about the above theft deterrent solutions, and
- Provide them with the best solution in the form of a secure locker from Parcel Pending by Quadient
Keeping these tips in mind will help transform the future of property management as well as parcel safety for your tenants.